Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 24, 2010

My New Passion



This horse was a real challenge because, although you can't see it, there are a lot of dark fabrics set on dark fabrics. This is the type of quilted piece that has perhaps 80 pieces all carefully cut and using adhesive, are then strategically placed layer upon layer to achieve the final picture. Some pieces are independent and so if you are off a little it matters not. But most pieces require precise placement. Look at the horse's eye. Is that not the most beautiful look you have ever seen? The summer before I came to Oregon, I spent a great deal of time at a stable braiding the manes of a few horses who competed in dressage. I recognize the look in this eye. Peaceful, meditative. Understanding. I love this horse. If I was into owning such things, I would want to own this piece.






This was the first piece I made like this. You can't see it, but ever single piece, every spot on this quilt is edge-stitched. No matter how small. Even the leaves that come off the sides and edge stitched, then curled over a dowel, and tacked on. The horse isn't. We wanted to show customers that they didn't necessarily have to have sewing skills to make one of these. It is really ok to just cut and iron on the pieces. There are women who blow up the images and hand applique the designs and turn them into full - sized quilts. These two pieces are small, maybe 14 X 22 - ish. Just wall hangings. I am hoping that when I go in on Monday, and I ask, they will let me do another. I really enjoy these.

I haven't made very many pieces of clothing for adults these past few months. But I am about to be hit. I was told to collect patterns for white blouses. Well, it is beginning. I love white blouses. One never has enough white blouses. If it was up to me, I would set up a display with six or eight of them and a basic collection of little skirts and wonderful pants to mix and match. It would make a fabulous display. Something we have never done before. maybe I can talk Julie into it. It is a classic look. And refreshing from all the knit crap that is out threr right now that makes everyone look so fat because they don't know how to wear it.

1 comment:

  1. The horse is amazing. I saw it before you completed it and I have to say, you are spot on.

    ReplyDelete