Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Eat Cake


I was reading Jody's blog and saw that she was making cakes. I realized that ever since I got this silicone bunt pan for Christmas I haven't used to. So, her blog motivated me to take it out and create something.



This looks rather sad. I should have put it on a plate and covered it in chocolate. OK. I made mistakes. The cake itself is divine. It looks awful because I thought, silicone, rubbery, easy to remove, doesn't need to be oiled. Right? Wrong.

Needs to be sprayed with oil. According to my findings on the internet. This beauty of a pan came without instructions. So I had no reference. Whe it cooled and I removed the cake carefully, although not horrible, it just wasn't as defined as I am accustomed with a well greased pan. Now I know.

The recipe:

Oven 350 o

In a bowl, sift:
2 1/2 C flour
1 1/2 ts b soda
2 ts cinnamon
2 ts ginger
1/2 ts salt

In another bowl mix:
1/2 C honey
1/2 C molasses
1 C hot water

In a heavy pan melt:

1/2 C butter
Let it cool a bit. Add:
1/2 C sugar
1 egg

Beet well, until it looks smooth.

Add the flour and the sweet mixture in bits until all is combined.

Add chopped dried fruits Like
Candied ginger
cranberries
raisins
apples
pineapple

I never add nuts because it takes away the delicateness of the cake, but you may think differently.

It takes an hour to cook depending on your oven.

I don't frost this cake. Sometimes I will heat it a little and butter it, or add a bit or jam. But really, I can devour it just as it is.

Bon appetit!!

2 comments:

  1. this sounds like a really delicious cake. I like those pans - always pick them up and walk around the store with them and then put them back. I don't know - the fact that they are rubbery and collapsible makes me nervous! The bundt pan always needs buttering and I coat that with flour as well. Isn't it alarming when they refuse to leave the pan!!!! I like that this recipe calls for honey and molasses - a real hearty cake, will have to give it a go. Are you still making Sunday dinner for your sister and niece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the collapsible cookware is ingenious. Perfect for a boat where space is so limited. Kudos to you for making the cake and wish I could have been there to try some. Boo hoo for me.

    ReplyDelete