Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pin Cushions


"The Needle Minder"


These lovely little things are about three inches long and are filled with very fine beach sand. You keep them at hand when you are doing hand work for holding your pins and needles. They keep your needles clean and smoothe. I don't know about you, but I munch a lot when I am sitting in my chair at night working my threads. And how often do my needles get a bit sticky? That is why I created this little jewel. Some are made from cottons and some are made from intricate pieces of embroidered taffetas. Price?


The Crystal


I think for the most part, I will be making these three-sided pyramids in smoky black batiks. These fabrics are difficult to find. I have a few and will have to be on the look out for more. I want the color to depend on the beads that come out of the top. Other than the needle minders, all of these pin cushions are filled with crushed walnut shells. So they are heavy. They stay where you put them... The crystals are about four inches tall and are quite sturdy.



The Flower


This is the most expensive cushion. It is made from vintage kimono silk. It is about five inches in diameter and has eighteen pieces. Then it is bound in beautiful rayon threads with a spider web center. It is an exquisite cushion worthy of exquisite hands.



The Bath


This shape I designed from a picture of a bath tub I kept seeing in design magazines. Whenever I saw the picture I would get the same feeling of relaxation as I get when I am sitting in my chair with my handwork whether it is knitting, embroidery, or stitchery. The top will always be blue water. The sides of the bath are silk taffeta, luxury. Indulgence. The bath is also lightly beaded around the edge.


Tailor's Chalk


I have special chalk that I use whenever I am marking someone's clothing to be hemmed, taken in or let out, altered in some way. I love the shape with the rounded points. The real chalk of course is very flat, but I raised this so it would have depth for your pins. The top is a black toile and the sides are silk dupioni. It is lightly beaded around the edge.


Nature


Who does not love the shape of a leaf! It is such a natural hold in your hand. When I look over at it sitting by my sewing machine I have to stop to realize that it is just a pin cushion. It looks like a sculpture. The shape is so gentle. The top and bottom is of Dupioni silk and the sides are a leaf print. Then I have beaded a vein down the center. It should always be so.


The Ottoman

If you were sitting in the living room of a grand estate, you would probably be resting your feet on an enormous ottoman looking somewhat like this. It is just this huge piece of furniture that can only fit in a huge room. It's heavy and it just invites your tired feet to rest themselves upon it. My cushion is made completely of embroidered taffeta. It is lightly beaded around the edge. Just as luxurious as the real thing. Imagine your pins resting round this flower!


So, these are the pincushions I have designed so far. I still have about five more drawings to put into form so far. Every time I turn around I think of a new one. I want my pin cushions to not look like cup cakes, pocketbooks, chickens, dogs, tomatoes, high heels.... Do you know what I mean? I want these cushions to have a more thoughtful nature to them. Cushions with some dignity.

I would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions, ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Holy moley, I am in awe! Each design resonates your spirit! I am so excited about them - you are a devil, feverishly working your magic into the night and telling no one!!! They are EXQUISITE.... each set more beguiling than the ones before. The last pair should be called MIGDALE, and we both know why. These are precisely what I want to see in the book. BRAVO, Paulina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check it out, some items are already for sale at: http://pauleena.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete