Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Copy Cat - Copy Owl

This is the picture I was given, taken in NY on a buyer's trip. I think this was a display item at Lord & Taylor's and selling for $50. Julie thought we could make it for less.

I love creating fringe. I could have pressed the yarn so that it was flat, straight, but I kind of liked the way it was rather wavy. It increased the detail of the knotting, which is not too visible in this picture, but quite lovely in real life.


The picture didn't show the detail of how the owl was stitched on to the scarf so I blanket stitched it. As small as I could get it, making sure to catch the yarn of the scarf. I cocked the ear of the owl a little to make it unique. never good to copy something exactly, although anyone could see that this is a copy of the original.


Julie and Georgia went to NY on another buying/expo trip. Of course they shopped too and came back with lots of pictures and ideas of things to make and sell. This scarf is knitted as a tube on circular needles. It took 4 skeins of yarn to include the fringing. I simply made a template for the owl and now everything will be turned into a free hand out with a list of materials. I think it would be great if it was kitted up. Maybe I will suggest that. That would be a great addition to the notebook I should be carrying around in the fabulous cover I made for it in the next post....

No comments:

Post a Comment